UV-C rays: dangerous but not too much!

UV-C rays: dangerous but not too much!

16 september 2020

So far we have talked about the different products that Maletti has designed and created to counter the situation we are currently experiencing. Many of these, as we have seen, act on bacteria thanks to the aforementioned UV-C rays. But what are they? In the electromagnetic spectrum, ultra-violet rays (commonly called UV) fall between the visible strip and X-ray, in wavelengths between 100 and 400 nanometres. This length range has been further subdivided into UV-A, UV-B and UV-C rays, all three of which have different effects on the living organisms on which they are spread. UV-A rays make up 95% of the sun’s radiation reaching the sun's surface and are responsible for tanning and the resulting ageing of the skin. UV-B rays, on the other hand, make up 5% of the sun's radiation and damage the DNA, causing sunburn and tissue damage. Finally, we find the UV-C rays that are the most dangerous of all, with germicidal and antibacterial properties. As early as the beginning of the last century, their use was demonstrated through experiments that showed that absorption of the UV-C rays by microorganisms caused irreparable damage to their DNA and resulted in cell death. Thanks to their action, this type of rays, produced by mercury lamps, has been used over the years for the reclamation and control of water, air, pharmaceutical products and surfaces fighting the proliferation of pathogenic agents harmful to humans. Not only in the past, but also today UV-C rays, produced by many devices of the 100%safe salonfuture, are a perfect method against bacteria and virus, allowing the sanitization of surfaces and objects, in this way controlling the pandemic. Discover them and ask for more information writing an email to info@malettigroup.com